Friday, May 1

Keep learning!

I think it is important to keep pushing yourself  in your year out. When you are studying it can be hard to find time to develop further knowledge in areas that interest you. Therefore I am planning to take a course in either horticulture or an ecology based course. This is something I am interested in and that I would like to increase my knowledge in.

I have looked at courses at Chapel Manor College (which has got course at Crystal Palace, which would be perfect for me as I live here). I would prefer to do an evening course, but might consider a day time course once a week, if my work are ok with it. I will also take advantage of the experience at my work and ask for their advice in helping me to choose a course. What I want out the course is a large knowledge of plants and to understand them in relation to the bigger picture. 

I also plan to make a video for the LI video competition which asks you to: outline how landscape architects, managers or scientists can fight climate change. My idea for this is to go simple and take photos of my vegetable garden every day and then put that together into a video using a technique where you use still images to create moving image. 

I think the result could be very cool and it would symbolise the importance of little things can help to fight climate change. It would illustrate directly the cycle of growing your own food and it would show the result of something that you can plan into your designs and how this affects people on a small scale. I like to think that to help fight climate change it is as important to think on a small scale as on a large. 

Both of these are things that will help you to become better and enjoy your profession more. I think it is just as important to consider this kind of promotion - as how you format your work and send it out to future employers. At the stage where we are at the moment at the beginning of our careers  a lot of employers will look for potential in people and I think it is important that you show this through commitment to the profession.

I also intend to keep this blog going to sum up lectures, exhibitions and other things related to landscape architecture that I experience. I think that the blog can be a great way to promote yourselves and for employers to learn some more about you and your interests. 

No comments: