Tuesday, March 3

Tate Modern

Popped into Tate modern the other day (I love the fact that you can just pop in when are around the southbank). Looked mostly at level three at the 'Poet and dreams' and 'Material Gestures' exhibitions. It has got a nice mixtures of sculptures and paintings. It is interesting to see the different teqniches and elements used in paintings. 


The map above is by Mark Bradford called Los Moscos. It is aerial map of an urban area - using materials found on the streets of Los Angeles. He uses soaking, bleaching, tearing and sanding the paper, to emphasise its physicality.  I like this piece of mapping - it creates layers which is important in mapping. It would be interesting to try maybe for a project. 

I am also a big fan of Cornelia Parker. I remember seeing her piece - Cold Dark Matter: An Exploded View - a few years ago. She is interested in how everyday objects can be changed by (often violent) processes and change into something new.  The light from one light bulb in the middle of the piece is casting shadows across the room. I haven't really incorporated light very much in my projects and I think by placing light in unusual positions you can get playful and dramatic effects. It has inspired me to try to incorporate some lighting effects in my play project. 


30 pieces of silver is involves symbolically killing off one set of values (class pretension, personal possession) to reveal another. It gives out a surprisingly calm feel. The way the silver is just hoovering above the floor. 

No comments: