Thursday, January 3

Vasa parken - Stockholm

When I went home to Sweden for an early Christmas, I took the opportunity to visit a park in central Stockholm. The park is called Vasa parken and has had some updating over the past years and there is still some work going on. What I knew before I went was that they have these very cool trampolines for kids to play on. I thought they looked great when I saw photos of them and I wasn't disappointed. They were great and we had to try them of course.

I thought maybe they would stand out to much and break up the traditional park too much. But I actually think they were great and the colour looked perfect on a very cold winters day. There some kids in quite different ages playing on them when we were there. The rest of the park is very traditional and very Swedish. It is surrounded by old beautiful houses. You could see that some parts have been done up, but there are also a lot of elements kept in the park, which retains the character of a very old park with a history.

I like the ice ri
nk, with the seating platforms on one end. Which probably is used for football during the summer and spring. There were kids skating on it. It is all free and the kids just bring their own skates. That is something I used to do when I was growing up and I love the fact that you can still go out and do that. And in central Stockholm all for free. It really encourages kids to play outside, even if it is cold and dark outside. It is still safe as well.


I really like the fact that the park is so Swedish and that the character of the park has been kept through regeneration. If the park looked great on a cold winters day, I think it will look beautiful on a summers day.

No comments: