Friday, May 9

Veggie patch


Thought I should update on how my veggie patch is doing. The potatoes are coming on great, can't see much of the carrots yet, which is a bit disappointing - since I love eating home grown carrots they taste much better than carrots bought in the supermarket. The peas are also coming on well and I need to put up some sticks for them to climb on. I love having a veggie patch, it makes you feel like a little kid again and there is no question that home grown vegetables taste a lot better than supermarket ones! I am gonna get some tomatoe plants during the weekend as well.

I obviously know that my veggie patch is far too small to even make a difference in the amount of vegetables that I buy at the supermarket. But it is a start. I also think that large communal allotments could be a great solution to large estates and work as a social and environmental benefits and at the same time give a forgotten neighborhood a great sense of place. This is something I am investigating and suggesting for a back street in Waterloo.

No comments: